Quickstone interlocking maxi-blocks are excellent retaining walls for large and small cut and fill retaining applications on commercial and residential sites and developments.
Quickstone maxi block retaining walls are available in sandstone and stackstone architectural finishes to provide a stylish and professional retaining and feature wall solution for:
- Parks, gardens, golf courses, sporting venues and recreational areas
- Car parks in shopping centre, residential and industrial sites
- Schools, hospitals, retirements villages and housing estate grounds
- Street frontages, roadside applications, parking bays, bridges and waterways
- Smaller landscaped sites requiring stylish architectural finishes.
Quickstone concrete maxi-blocks retaining walls can be easily and quickly installed by earthmovers, builders and landscapers with an on-site excavator, saving time and money.
Planning and designing a Quickstone concrete block retaining wall
- Prepare a drawing showing the length, shape and height of the retaining wall required
- Include setbacks required from boundaries, dwellings and other structures
- Select the quickstone product that would best suit your required application.
- Using the selected block dimensions, calculate the number of blocks required for the length of the bottom row
- Using the selected block dimensions, calculate the number of blocks required to achieve the desired height
- Prepare an order list of blocks required
- Provide a copy of your plan with your order
- Council applications and approval may be required and vary between different Councils. It is the owner/purchaser’s responsibility to acquire all necessary approvals.
Marking-out and measuring the site for a Quickstone concrete block retaining wall
- Place a peg at each end of the location of the wall.
- Run a string line between the 2 pegs and mark with paint.
- Check required dimensions and set backs from boundaries and dwellings
Preparation and excavation of the site for a Quickstone concrete block retaining wall
- Excavate the required area
- Measure from the front of the painted line the depth of the block selected (eg maxi block 600mm)
- Ensure that the excavation is at least 300mm wider than the block to allow for drainage behind the wall
- Trim the earth to a stable slope
- Excavate the base 300mm into solid ground, removing all grass and vegetation.
- Use a laser level or similar levelling device to ensure the base is level
Supply and install the base material for a Quickstone concrete block retaining wall
- Place metal dust into the excavation to a depth of approx 250mm and compact using a mechanical plate vibrator (wacka packa)
- Screed the top of the compacted material
- Grade the base to fall 2% towards the retained material (approx 8/10mm over the width of a 600mm maxi block)
Installation of the Quickstone Concrete Blocks
- Place the blocks on the compacted footing carefully checking the starting point of your measurements on your plan
- Use a spirit level to ensure each block is level.
- Make sure each block is placed as tight as possible to the neighbouring block to limit the gap and to ensure the measurements of the wall don’t increase as you go along
- Once the bottom row is laid and level add the additional rows to the desired height ensuring that the blocks are laid in a brick bond sequence (overlap by half) to form a structural bond
- Half blocks should be laid at opposite ends of each row
Installing the drainage behind the Quickstone retaining wall
- Once the wall is completed to the desired height place a plastic liner behind the constructed wall (full height) and lay under where the drainage pipe will be positioned
- Install the slotted drainage pipe at the base behind the wall on top of the plastic liner
- Backfill behind the wall with free draining material 20mm blue metal up to 200mm from the top of the wall
- Place geofabric over the top of the drainage material and backfill with a clay based fill to create a plug on top of the wall to avoid surface water entering behind the wall
Finish-off the Quickstone retaining wall surface landscaping
- Complete the projects with topsoil, turf and gardening to complete the project.
- Hose-off and colour with acid stains if required.